Facebook Instagram Youtube Youtube Twitter Official Website of the Cathedral of Seville Only Official Site

– Construction of new walls in Seville. (1118) – The Almoravids conquer Seville. The Christian bishop flees to Christian lands. (1147) – The Almohad caliphate of Abu Yaqub Yusuf, who moved the capital to Seville, begins. (1163) – Abu Yaqub orders the construction of the Great Mosque of Seville. (1172) – The caliph Abu Yaqub … Read more

– The Torre del Oro is built. (1220) – The Sevillian mosque is transformed into the church of Santa Maria. (1248) – The Cathedral-Church is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. (1251) – FERNANDO III is buried in front of the altar of the Chapel of the Kings, first of the Mudejar Cathedral. (1252) – … Read more

– An earthquake topples the “yamur” of the tower. It is replaced by a wooden bell tower paid for by the king. (1356) – D. Gonzalo de Mena was named archbishop of Seville (he died in 1401 and was buried in the Chapel of Santiago, inside the Cathedral). (1394) – The wooden belfry was removed … Read more

– With Seville without an archbishop, the canons decided to build a new cathedral. (1401) – The infant Don Fernando came to the Cathedral to take the sword from the effigy of Fernando III. (1407) – Doña Guiomar Manuel, a lady who gave a large part of her fortune to the Cathedral Factory, was buried … Read more

– Carmona earthquake. (1504) – The expansion of the Chapel of the Virgen de la Antigua begins. (1504) – The Cathedral was inaugurated on May 11. (1507) The tomb of Cardinal Diego Hurtado de Mendoza is placed in the Chapel of the Virgen de la Antigua. (1510) – The primitive dome that covers the transept … Read more

– The construction of the current parish of El Sagrario begins. (1618) – Alonso Cano paints the Virgin of Bethlehem, to the left of the Door of the Conception (Patio de los Naranjos). (1635) – The Parish of the Sagrario is finished (1662) – Canonization of King Ferdinand III, patron saint of Seville. (1671) – … Read more

– In the Chapel of the Virgen de la Antigua is placed the tomb of the archbishop D. Luis de Salcedo y Azcona. (1741) – Lisbon earthquake. Repairs are being carried out in the Giralda. (1755) – The grille of the Royal Chapel, paid for by the king, is placed. (1771)

– Goya paints Santa Justa and Santa Rufina, painting placed in the chapel of the Chalices. (1817) – The architectural part of the Assumption Gate is finished. (1833) – The plaster model for the Portada de la Asunción is approved. (1884) – The tomb of Cardinal Lluch is built in the Chapel of San Laureano. … Read more

– The Columbus monument is placed in the Cathedral. (1902) – The present organs of the Cathedral are finished. (1903) – The Puerta de la Concepción is finished. (1917) – Coronation of the Virgen de la Antigua on the occasion of the Ibero-American Exposition in Seville. (1929) – Restoration of the Sagrario Church. (1960) – … Read more

– The Cathedral hosts the events held in honor of the Sevillian, Maria de los Angeles Guerrero Gonzalez, canonized by Pope John Paul II, as St. Angela of the Cross. (2003) – The restoration of the main altarpiece has been completed after two years of work. (2014). – UNESCO recognizes in Paris, the exemplary management … Read more

The Aljama Mosque of Ibn Adabbas was erected between 829 and 830, sitting on the remains that once belonged to Roman and Visigothic public buildings.

The mosque was Christianized after the conquest of Seville by King Ferdinand in 1248. The mosque is transformed by turning the axis of worship and dedicating the ablutions courtyard to a cemetery.

In 1661 the old mosque was demolished and a new church was built on the new plan, which was demolished in 1679, leaving only the walls. During this century and onwards, a rich and extensive collection of altarpieces and sacred images was added, giving the church an unequalled artistic value.

In 1712, the new church with three naves and transept was consecrated, with a maximum interior height of 24.25 m (80 ft). and a width of 34 m. The artistic contributions of this century turn the temple into a treasure of the Sevillian baroque.

El Salvador lost its status as a collegiate church in 1852 and incorporated the stained glass collection, a gift from the Dukes of Montpensier.